BSRA Privacy Statement
Your security and privacy is important to us. We will ensure that we take all measures to protect the information of candidates, clients, suppliers and employees.
- Never store resume information on our website
- Implement best practice measures for securely storing your information
- Provide you with current warnings relating to relevant scams we are aware of
- Respond in a timely manner to your enquiries
BSRA Pty Ltd and its related entities (referred to as “us”, “we” or “our”) are committed to protecting the privacy of the personal information that we collect from you and complying with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (the “Privacy Act”), including the Australian Privacy Principles (the “APPs”).
We note that under the Privacy Act the employee records exemption exempts employers from the Privacy Principles in relation to an act done, or practice engaged in if it directly relates to a current or former employment relationship between the employer and the individual and the employee record is held by the organisation and relates to the individual.
What is personal information?
The Privacy Act 1988 (the Privacy Act) defines personal information as information or an opinion about an individual (whether true or not) whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, from the information or opinion. Personal information is any information that can be used to identify you. If the information you provide to us identifies you or your identity can be reasonably ascertained from such information, it will be considered personal information and we will manage such information in accordance with the Privacy Act, APPs and this policy.
What is sensitive information?
Sensitive information is a special category of personal information. It is information or an opinion about your:
- racial or ethnic origin;
- political opinion;
- membership of a political association or religious beliefs, affiliations or philosophical beliefs;
- membership of a professional or trade association or membership of a trade union;
- sexual orientation or practices;
- criminal record;
- health (at any time), genetic or biometric
- expressed wishes about the future provision of health services.
It includes personal information collected to provide a health service. Sensitive information can, in most cases, only be disclosed with your consent. We do not actively seek to collect sensitive information unless it is necessary for our business purposes. If we do have to collect sensitive information, we will do so in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles.
What kind of information do we collect?
We collect personal information in a variety of ways, including via the BSRA website, www.bsra.com.au (such as when users register, apply for employment), when you respond to email questionnaires or when you provide personal information to us by other means, such as in person, over the phone or by email.
Personal information that we collect and hold usually falls into the following categories:
- Candidate Information submitted and obtained from the Candidate and other sources in connection with applications for work;
- Work performance information;
- Information about incidents in the workplace;
- Staff information;
- Information submitted and obtained in relation to absences from work due to leave, illness or other causes;
- Information obtained to assist in managing client and business relationships;
- Sensitive Information such as health information, criminal record, trade and professional memberships (including trade unions) etc.
Some information that we collect may not be personal information. This may include aggregated information about how users use the BSRA website, anonymous answers to surveys and other information that does not personally identify you. Information that is not personal information is not subject to the Privacy Act or the APPs and we can use such information for any purpose.
Use of your personal and sensitive information
Your personal and sensitive information may be used in connection with:
- Your actual or possible work placement;
- Checking your work rights status with any government department or body (or their agents);
- Payment for work completed on a temporary/contract assignment;
- Follow up with you to offer you work or ascertain your availability for work;
- Your performance appraisals;
- Our assessment of your ongoing performance and prospects;
- Any test or assessment (including medical tests) that you might be required to undergo;
- Our identification of your training needs;
- Any workplace rehabilitation;
- Our management of any complaint, investigation or inquiry in which you are involved;
- Any insurance claim or proposal that requires disclosure of your personal information;
- Ensuring our internal business processes are running smoothly which may include quality assurance audits, quality and services evaluations, fulfilling legal requirements and conducting confidential systems maintenance and testing;
- To undertake directly or through agent criminal reference checking with relevant agencies;
- To send you material about our company, job postings that fit your profile, or information to assist with your employment or association with Just Recruitment (opt out/opt in available).
Providing information to third parties
We may provide links to third-party web-sites as a service to our users. We cannot control and do not accept responsibility for the information collection practices of such third-parties. We encourage you to review and understand the privacy policies of the relevant third-parties before providing any information to them.
We may disclose your personal information for the purposes for which it is primarily held or for a related secondary purpose and in some cases we may only disclose information with your consent.
Your Personal and Sensitive Information may be Disclosed to:
- Prospective, potential and actual employers and clients of BSRA;
- Your referees;
- Other members of BSRA;
- Our insurers;
- A professional association or registration body that has a proper interest in the disclosure of your personal and sensitive information;
- A Workers Compensation body;
- Any government department or body (or their agents) to verify your work rights status;
- A designated, registered training provider in relation to training and personal development opportunities;
- Our contractors and suppliers.
We will not intentionally disclose (and will take commercially reasonable steps to prevent the accidental disclosure of) your personal information to third-parties, whether for such third parties’ marketing purposes or otherwise, except when we believe we are under a lawful duty of care to do so.
We will store a candidate’s personal information for a reasonable period of time necessary for us to provide services to the candidate. At any time, and at the candidate’s request, we will destroy the personal information of that candidate. We will do this for any lawful request.
Subject to some exceptions which are set out in the Australian Privacy Principles (Principle 12 access to personal information), you have a right to see and have a copy of personal and sensitive information about you that we hold.
If you are able to establish that personal or sensitive information that we hold about you is not accurate, complete and up-to-date, we will take reasonable steps to correct it so that it is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
If we are unable to agree that personal or sensitive information that we hold about you is accurate, complete and up-to-date, you may ask us to place with the information a statement by you that claims that particular information is not accurate, complete and up-to-date. If you wish to exercise your rights of access and correction you may access and update some personal information, please contact our Privacy Officer.